Tuesday 21 October 2014

Seve Ballesteros

I started this painting a couple of weeks ago when the Ryder Cup was on. I always get hit with golf fever when any of the big tournaments are on, but the Ryder Cup is a bit special. On the eve of the tournament, I was listening to a podcast (BBC 5 live I think) and they were listing their top Ryder Cup players.

This got me thinking about mine and for me, there was only one candidate, Seve Ballasteros. Both as a player and a captain, he was inspirational for the European team. And for me, the year he captained the team to victory at Valderrama will always stay in my mind as one of the best sporting moments I can remember.

So I had to include the Valderrama clubhouse in the painting, with Seve wearing his trademark navy blue jumper with white shirt, which he always wore on the final round of a tournament.

Technically, I am starting to find an aesthetic I am becoming more content with. I've had a few comments saying my work looks like oil paint, and I instantly break out in a big cheesy smile, because that's exactly what I am after. I love realism but I am trying to get away from hyper-realistic photo realism. I figured, if people wanted hyper realistic photo realism, they would just use a photo! I want to leave some brush stokes showing in there and throw in some random colours that you wouldn't expect to see. I'm still working on being more loose in this way, but I'm getting there.

On a seperate note, I am only 10 away from 1000 followers on Twitter......wink, wink, nudge, nudge! ;)

Follow me on Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.

Portfolio www.kevinmcgivern.com




blogger templatesblogger widgets - If you liked this post, please feel free to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment